Deep Oceanic mission is a programme under Ministry of Earth Science that worth 8000 crore.
- Deep ocean exploration (metals and minerals)
- Underwater vehicles and robotic technology
- Ocean climate change advisory service
- Offshore desalination plant works with tidal energy
- Underwater vehicles and robotics technology development.
- Developing submersible vehicles with a depth coverage of 6000m and 3 people on board aiding India in deep mineral exploration
- It is based on the allocation of about 750000 sqkm Central Indian ocean basin by UN International sea bed authority.
- Indian ocean sea bed has 380 million metric tonnes of Polymetallic nodules (PMN)
- PMN are rich in Manganese copper cobalt nickel and Iron etc.
Oceans role upon future generation:
- 10% of PMN reserves meet energy needs of about next 100year
- Best resource for fisheries (4.4 million metric ton fisheries) -source of food and employment.
- Rich in mineral and energy (petroleum and gas hydrate)
- Improvised transportation route that replenish future trade.
India has implemented schemes such as ‘Blue growth initiative’, O-SMART, ‘Sagarmala’ etc to utilize the unexplored resources and sustainable use of the same.
Hence "Blue economy boost the economy in future".