26 Jul Agnipath Scheme
TOPIC IN NEWS:- Youth joining the defence forces under the Agnipath scheme will be valuable for the aviation industry, the government told Parliament (THE HINDU)
OTHER IMPORTANT POINTS
- According to the government, “Agniveers are expected to be fit, disciplined and motivated professionals, after four years of military service. Those involved in aircraft maintenance, flight safety, air cargo, supply chain, administration, IT and drones, etc. will have valuable experience after serving that will be of significant relevance to the aviation industry.
- Minister for Civil Aviation Jyotiraditya Scindia also said that the Ministry was “sensitising” all stakeholders in the civil aviation sector to give “preference” to Agniveers in employment.
ABOUT AGNIPATH SCHEME
- Agnipath scheme for recruiting soldiers across the Three services (Army, Navy and Airforce).
- Under this scheme, the youth joining the duty will be called Agniveer.
- The duration of services is four years, however, after four years, only 25% of the batch will be recruited back into their respective services, for a period of 15 years.
- Under this scheme, around 45,000 to 50,000 soldiers will be recruited annually, and most will leave the service in four years.
- It is only for personnel below officer ranks (those who do not join the forces as commissioned officers).
- Aspirants between the ages of 17.5 years and 23 years will be eligible to apply.
Benefits for Agniveers
- After the completion of the 4-years of service, a one-time ‘Seva Nidhi’ package of Rs 11.71 lakhs will be paid to the Agniveers that will include their accrued interest thereon.
- They will also get a Rs 48 lakh life insurance cover for four years.
- In case of death, the payout will be over Rs 1 crore, including pay for the unserved tenure.
- The government will help rehabilitate soldiers who leave the services after four years. They will be provided with skill certificates and bridge courses.
- For those wishing to be entrepreneurs, priority under bank loans will be provided.
- Different bridging courses of their choice certificate will be provided for further growth & development.
- The agniveers will be given priority in CAPFs, Assam Rifles,, and police and allied forces in several states.
Advantages of the Agnipath Scheme
- Reduction of pension bill: The government has allocated or paid more than Rs. 3.3 lakh crore in defence pension since 2020. This scheme will reduce this heavy amount.
- Younger armed forces: Presently India’s armed force is around 13-lakh soldiers and the current average age profile is 32 years. It is envisaged it will come down by about 4-5 years by the implementation of this scheme
- Better training and skilled force: A youthful armed forces will allow them to be easily trained for new equipment, technologies etc.
- Enhance employment opportunities: Apart from job opportunities in the defence, youth will also get skills and experience during the four-year service as a result it will help them to get employment in various fields.
Download the PDF Now:
Daily Current Affairs for UPSC
For increasing inbound and outbound knowledge, every UPSC aspirant should read the updated current affairs regularly. Plutus IAS provides the best daily current affairs for the UPSC examination. So, collect the latest current affairs from us and read them properly from today. Also, read the weekly and monthly current affairs for IAS exam preparation.