Context:- Auction of 5G spectrum, where 3 companies have participated.
- Auction revenue has surpassed the government estimate.
- What is 5G
- 5G is the next generation cellular technology that will provide faster and more reliable communication with ultra-low latency (Latency is gap time or transmission time for a packet of data).
- The Steering Committee constituted for identifying the 5G deployment roadmap for India recently submitted report titled ‘Making India 5G Ready’. As per government panel report with 5G data speed would be 2-20 Gbps.
- FEATURES OF 5G
- High data rates (1Gbps for hotspots, 100Mbps download and 50Mbps upload for wide-area coverage)
- Massive connectivity (1million connections per square kilometre)
- Ultra-low latency (1millisecond)
- High reliability (99.999% for mission critical‘ ultra-reliable’ communications), and
- Mobility at high speeds (upto 500km/ High-speed trains).