31 May Environmental Information, Awareness, Capacity Building and Livelihood Programme
Environmental Information, Awareness, Capacity Building and Livelihood Programme
This article covers “Daily Current Affairs” and the topic details “Environmental Information, Awareness, Capacity Building and Livelihood Programme”. The topic “Environmental Information, Awareness, Capacity Building and Livelihood Programme” has relevance in the Environment section for the UPSC CSE exam.
Relevance of the topic “Environmental Information, Awareness, Capacity Building and Livelihood Programme”
What is Environmental Information, Awareness, Capacity Building and Livelihood Programme?
What is Mission LiFe?
GS 3: Security
What is the significance of the Environmental Information, Awareness, Capacity Building and Livelihood Programme?
What is the significance of Mission LiFE?
Why in the news?
The Ministry of Environment, Forest and Climate Change (MoEF&CC), plans to commemorate World Environment Day 2023 by focusing on the Mission LiFE.
What is Environmental Information, Awareness, Capacity Building and Livelihood Programme (EIACP)?
The Environmental Information, Awareness, Capacity Building, and Livelihood Programme (EIACP) is an important initiative aligned with Mission LiFE, actively implemented as a sub-scheme of the Central Sector.
Currently, there are 60 EIACP Centres dedicated to promoting awareness about sustainable actions that individuals can take.
The initiatives undertaken are:
- Participating in photography, essay writing, debates, quizzes, and awareness programs to promote a deeper understanding of sustainable living.
- Organising cleanliness drives, conducting thematic webinars on LiFE, and organising bicycle rallies and plantation drives to actively contribute to environmental preservation.
- Displaying LiFE hoardings on public places like Bus Stops to raise awareness and inspire others to adopt sustainable actions.
- Promoting LiFE actions through initiatives such as using e-rickshaws, organising plastic collection campaigns, and conducting workshops on sustainable practices.
- Encouraging participation in competitions like street plays, paintings, youth parliament conclave, and Jan Bhagidari programs in schools and colleges, fostering a sense of responsibility towards Mission LiFE.
What is Mission LiFE?
This visionary concept was introduced by the Hon’ble Prime Minister during the World Leaders’ Summit held at the 2021 UNFCCC COP26 in Glasgow. The Prime Minister passionately called for a collective global effort to embrace sustainable lifestyles and practices, highlighting the importance of individual actions in safeguarding our environment.
What are the individual actions for a sustainable future?
- Reduce, reuse, and recycle: Minimise waste and recycle materials like paper, plastic, glass, and metal.
- Conserve energy: Opt for energy-efficient appliances and turn off lights and electronics when not in use.
- Save water: Fix leaks, take shorter showers, and use water-efficient fixtures.
- Choose sustainable transportation: Walk, bike, or use public transport whenever possible. Consider electric or hybrid vehicles.
- Support sustainable products: Look for eco-friendly and organic options with minimal packaging.
- Practise mindful consumption: Reduce unnecessary purchases and support local and sustainable businesses.
- Adopt a plant-based diet: Reduce meat consumption and incorporate more plant-based meals.
- Conserve natural resources: Be mindful of water and paper usage, and use reusable alternatives.
- Plant trees and support reforestation efforts: Participate in tree planting initiatives and support reforestation projects.
- Spread awareness: Educate others and encourage sustainable practices in your community.
What is the significance of Mission LiFE ?
Mission Life (Leveraging Innovation for Empowerment) is an ambitious initiative aimed at promoting sustainable development, empowerment, and innovation in various domains. The acronym “LiFE” represents the core values and objectives of the mission:
- Promotes sustainable living and responsible resource usage
- Focuses on environmental conservation and biodiversity preservation
- Contributes to mitigating climate change
- Engages individuals, schools, and institutions in awareness campaigns
- Encourages adoption of eco-friendly habits and practices
- Inspires collective action and responsibility
- Empowers future generations through youth involvement
- Aims to create a greener and more sustainable future
Even small individual actions can collectively make a significant positive impact on the environment and contribute to a more sustainable future. Mission LiFE is a comprehensive and forward-thinking initiative that seeks to leverage innovation and empowerment to create a sustainable and inclusive future for all.
Q.1 Which initiative, introduced by the Hon’ble Prime Minister of India, aims to promote sustainable living and encourage individuals to make changes in their lifestyles for the conservation of the environment?
- Mission LiFE
- Sustainable Living Mission
- Blue Dot Network
- TULIP scheme
Q.2 Consider the following statements about Environmental Information, Awareness, Capacity Building, and Livelihood Programme (EIACP):
- EIACP is an important initiative aligned with Mission LiFE, implemented as a sub-scheme of the Central Sector.
- EIACP Centres are dedicated to promoting awareness about sustainable actions that government and industry can take.
Select the correct answer from the code given below:
- 1 only
- 2 only
- Both 1 and 2
- Neither 1 nor 2
- It is not only the governments that can play an important role in mitigating Climate change but it is also the individuals who can bring a change. With reference to Mission LiFE highlight the role of individuals in creating a sustainable future.