23 Apr India-US – Climate Partnership
(GS PAPER-3, SUSTAINABLE DEVELOPMENT
SOURCE- THE HINDU
India and the United States launched the US-India Climate and Clean Energy Agenda 2030 Partnership during the Leaders’ Summit on April 22, 2021. The summit was hosted by the US President. The world leaders from around forty countries attended the summit.
About the Partnership-
The Partnership will proceed through the following aspects:
- Strategic Clean Energy Partnership
- Climate Action and Finance Mobilisation Dialogue
- India will deploy 450 GW of renewable power with the US partnership
- Both the countries will work together to achieve clean energy targets.
- With the partnership, the countries will demonstrate how the whole world can align swift climate action taking into account sustainable development priorities
- The US has announced that it will double its public climate financing for developing countries.
- It will be tripled by 2024.
- Chinese President has promoted the Green Belt and Road Initiative of his country.
- He announced that China had pledged net zero emissions by 2060.
- The United Kingdom proclaimed that it is halfway in achieving a net-zero target.
- The UK had set a target of reducing 78% of emissions by 2035 as compared to 1990 levels