13 Feb Inter Caste Marriage- A Way to Eliminate Caste Distinction
Posted at 13 Feb 2021 in Current Affairs, Ethics, GS Paper I, GS Paper IV, Social Issues 0 Comments
- The Supreme Court quashed the petition related to declaring marriage illegal, filed by the family whose daughter fled from Bengaluru to Delhi to marry her lover.
Observation of Supreme Court:
- According to the Bench which is headed by the honourable Justice Sanjay Kishan Kaul says that “Educated younger boys and girls are choosing their life partners, which, in turn, is a departure from the earlier norms of society where caste and community is playing a major role. Possibly, this is the way forward where caste and community tensions will reduce by such inter marriages.”
- The Supreme Court directed the Police Department to counsel the investigating officer and also to include a course in the training programme for sensible policing.
What is Inter-Caste marriage?
- Inter-caste marriage is a marriage between people of two different castes. For example if a person belonging to Brahmin community got married with a Scheduled caste individual that marriage will be called as inter-caste marriage.
What do the laws talk about Inter-Caste Marriage?
- Special Marriage Act, 1954 says that people of any religion or caste can marry with each other. This law is applicable to all the citizens of India whether they live in India or abroad.
- According to the Prohibition of Child Marriage Act 2006, the minimum legal age of marriage for girls is 18 years and for boys is 21 years.
- According to Article 21 of the Indian constitution which talks about Right To Life and Personal Liberty has implicitly mentioned the Right To Marry, that is a Fundamental Right.
Views of Babasaheb Ambedkar on Inter-caste marriage:
- Dr. B.R.Ambedkar in his book ‘Annihilation of Caste’ says that , “I am convinced that the real remedy is intermarriage. Fusion of blood can alone create the feeling of being kith and kin, and unless this feeling of kinship, of being kindred, becomes paramount, the separatist feeling, the feeling of being aliens created by caste will not vanish.”