18 Jan Pandit Birju Maharaj : A kathak legend
Pandit Birju Maharaj : A kathak legend- Today current Affairs
Context : A Kathak legend Pandit Birju Maharaj has passed away by 17th February 2022 . He has left a rich legacy behind him
Introduction : A complete artist Pt Birju Maharaj who lived music in its entirety transcended to a heavenly stage on Monday . He spread Kathak to the entire world .
What is kathak : The Hindu Analysis
- Kathak is a classical dance of India among 8 forms of classical dances . The Kathak term is derived from kathakar (Storyteller) . A style of dance in which the expression of the face tells the story . This style of dance had developed during Bhakti period and the people dances in front of the god on the rhythm of bhajans
- The stories related to Indian folks , epic are communicated through this style of dance . The rhythmic foot movement , hand gesture , facial expression and the eye work are the means through which dancers explain about the story .
- This performing art is related with the period of Mahabharata and it is popular mainly in Northern India . There are various schools related to kathak called gharana like Jaipur Gharana. Banaras gharana and the Lucknow gharana
About Pt Birju Maharaj : The Hindu Analysis
- Birju Maharaj was born in Handia (Allahabad Dist , Uttar Pradesh ) in 1938. During his life he was awarded various awards like Padam Vibhushan, Kalidas Samman etc. He received honorary doctorate from various universities of India including Banaras Hindu University . He was related with the Lucknow Gharana of Kathak
- He was inspired by the rhythm of nature . Every time he took the stage , It seems that the almighty was dancing through him .
- Be it the movement of ants , a river in spate , a bird feeding its young or the earth motion on its axis , there was nothing that escaped the kathak maestro’s dancing eyes
- His face expression and the movement of eyes during dance was ultimate
- The stage was a canvas for Pt Birju Maharaj where he painted the Krishna and Radha’s divine romance that would dissolve in space only to be replaced by a new one
- He was trained by his father Achchan Maharaj and uncles Lachhu Maharaj and Shambhu Maharaj . He also taught in Bhartiya Kala Kendra and in Kathak Kendra ,
- The journey from Brij Mohan Nath Sharma to Birju Maharaj was not easy , in fact for this he had to work hard and he had to refine the dance form and took it out of the narrow lanes of Aminabad to international proscenium
- He would often cycle to teach at Sangeet Bharati and perform for hours in private gatherings
The death of the Pt Birju Maharaj is the loss of the entire Art family . He was a legend and carried forward this traditional art to next generations . He was not only an artist but a good person also> He served Indian art for his entire life and protected cultural Heritage . Definitely he made kathak popular in the entire world . The credit to revive kathak in modern India definitely should go to Maharaj Ji. He was a person who painted a divine romance on stage . The vacant place of Pandit ji in the field of art can not be fulfilled
In this article we mention all information about Pandit Birju Maharaj : A kathak legend- Today current Affairs.
GS paper I : Art and Culture
Source The Hindu