GS Paper 1, Indian Architecture
Source- The Hindu
The centuries old Saint George Orthodox Church at Cheppad in Kerala demolition for widening off National Highway 66 but is now set to become a centrally protected monument of National important with archaeological Survey of India recognition
About the church
- Saint George Orthodox Church is believed to be established in AD950 but some experts says it was built in AD 1050
- The church was built in 1952 but the Eastern part of the church was retained to preserve the murals
What is Mural
It is any piece of artwork painted or applied directly on wall ceiling or other permanent surfaces
- The most attractive feature of the church is the mural painting.
- The paintings are considered to be over 600 years old.
- There is a difference between traditional Kerala mural art and the persian art.
What is monuments of national importance
- Monuments of national importance are designated by the Archaeological Survey of India and ancient monuments are defined under the ancient monument and Logical sites and remains Act 1958.
- The Act defines ancient monuments at any structure or monuments or any cave Rock sculpture, an inscription that is of historical archaeological interest.
- It is maintained by the central government.
- The highest number of monuments is found in Uttar Pradesh
- Khyati Khare