Context:- United Nations Working Group on Enforced or Involuntary Disappearances (WGEID) has received reports of enforced disappearances from the people of disappeared families. This game is going on in ASIA which was started in 1970’s,80’s from argentina.
A Larger view:-
- In China enforced disappearances of Uighur muslims on the pretext of educating them so that terrorsim and extremism can be curbed.
- In Pakistan, Hindu’s as well as muslims are being disappeared by the state. The most tragic one is baloch’s enforced disappearances.
- In sri-lanka too on the pretext of changing history.
- Recent coup in Myanmar anr the mammoth injury inflicted on their democratic institution further enforced disappearance are the black chapter.
Why such enforced disappearances:-
- State’s excessive zeal to suppress the common voices.
- Military rule.
- Snatching the freedom of speech and expression.
- Leader can do anything to retain power.
- No freedom of speech and expression.
- No right to life.
- Forceful prohibition of religion.
- Under the Declaration on the Protection of all Persons from Enforced Disappearance (1992), the Working Group works to assist families of disappeared persons
- assistance of the secretariat members based in Geneva
- Working Group monitors states’ compliance, and documented cases of enforced disappearance
- The WGEID also presses states to offer remedies, including compensation and a guarantee of non-recurrence of the violations.
- Working Group has serious concerns about the impact of COVID-19 on enforced disappearances
- International Convention for the Protection of all Persons from Enforced Disappearance in 2006, which became effective in 2010. Only 63 countries are members.