17 May The road from Ladakh is paved with disruptions (The Hindu, GS-2, International relation)
- Context:- Ingress by Chinese army into Indian territory, further escalation led to death of soilders from both the sides. this escalation is currently not on the backfoot rather silently brewing.situation at Galwan was resolved a few weeks after the deadly clash and it was an agreement from both the sides that after complete disengagement from pangong tso lake with in 48 hours.
- After this now on april 9, chinese army commander refused to discuss the any remaining issue on this matter.
- India has lost it’s only leverage on the kailash range, for the shake of disengagement from some points but not all.
- India’s approach of piecemeal disengagement has backfired.
- Even on the north bank of Pangong, a new status quo has been created where the patrolling rights are yet to be restored.
- COVID-19 and geopolitics
- India said it will provide billions of vaccine by the end of 2022 to indo-pacific to deal with this pandemic, but india is taking vaccine from the other countries shows india’s inability to provide substitute of china.
- India’s inefficient dealing with the pandemic, further infused by the shortage of vaccine and oxygen downgrade india’s bet of indo-pacific champion.
- under GAVI’s COVAX scheme, the proposal now seems to be on a weak footing.
- A weaker India is not only less attractive as a partner globally, it makes New Delhi more dependent on the United States to deal with China.
- India-Pakistan talks have been resumed with UAE a moderator.
- China has been supplying the drug ingredients to india but price fluctuating.
- India-china talks are on the tackling of pandemic, Chinese premier has sent’s his condolences about the death in india because of pandemic and Chinese media is showing china helping india in this pandemic
- India whose ambition is to take seat in UNSC, being a net security provider in the south east Asia, providing the substitute to china and countering the terrorism in all the forms have been on the backfoot because of inability of government to tackle this pandemic.
Plutus IAS Current Affair Team Member