31 May A ‘reform wave’ Lakshadweep could do without (The Hindu, Polity, GS-2)
Context:- Recent reforms by the current administrator prafull patel in lakshadweep administration leads to widespread criticism. The pretext of these reforms is to transform Lakshadweep into a Maldivessma type economy.
What are those reforms:
- the Lakshadweep Animal Preservation Regulation, 2021
- the Prevention of AntiSocial Activities Regulation (PASA)
- the Lakshadweep Panchayat Regulation, 2021
- Lakshadweep Development Authority Regulation 2021
A tumultuous journey of Island:-
- Island development agency under Home ministry to take development and security to the new level
- There are three distinct ecosystems:
- Fishery is a primary occupation here.
- Vatteluttu was the earliest script used with its heavy Sanskrit component.
- Administration was digitised back then in 1990, its PRI system was working even before 1993.
What has done:-
- Lakshadweep required the industry to be people-centric and enrich the fragile coral ecology.
- rainwater harvesting facilities,
- Solar power covers 10% of lighting
- All islands have been connected by helicopter service since 1986
- high speed passenger boats were purchased in the 1990s by an international tender
- redesign of the tripods reinforcing the beaches against sea erosion, and ensuring piped water supply especially designed to draw from the fresh water lens
- Vernacular building traditions are the theme of all government housing projects undertaken in the islands in the 1980s
- Kavaratti has a desalination wind powered plant gifted by the Danish government.
- poverty line in terms of GDP is only slightly higher than the World Bank’s poverty threshold, Lakshadweep today has no poor people;
- Long lines and refrigeration have aided the expansion of the fishing sector
- Indiscriminate trawling endangers the coral
- need to develop policies for
- enhancing employment opportunities,
- management of fisheries,
- waste disposal and widening
- access to drinking water
- Youth having acquired a modern education,
- preferring salaried jobs
- over pursuing traditional occupations
- conservation and natural resource management arrived at after wide consultation.
Why Laksweep can’t be converted in to maldive type model:-
- Water bungalows — an expensive concept (Taken from maldive)
- Is also hazardous to the coral
- Can become the issue in the monsoon region
- We must note that:-A wooden jetty installed at the diving school in Kadmat needs to be dismantled every monsoon
- allow the mining and exploitation of mineral resource will be a disaster to the coral ecosystem.