25 May A single global tender for vaccine procurement (The hindu, governance, GS-2)
Context:- Pandemic which is devastating now can be restricted through the vaccine but a myopic vision about the vaccination programme hit the economies of scale as well as availability.
Issue:- Central government has asked the states to float the global tenders according to their need. This is an issue on the federal front:-
Why this is an issue:-
- It is the responsibility of the federal government to provide vaccine to all people of india
- With individual states are floating their tender is leading to more price per unit
- It has decreased the power of negotiation which indian government would have as the single buyer.
- Shifting the responsibility to the states.
- Fiscal federalism is not followed.
- Traditional way where Centre procures vaccines and the States administer them.
How this can be solved:-
- Revisit the vaccine policy
- Centre to acquire the vaccine from foreign countries
- A targeted approach i.e. government should provide the vaccine to 18-44 group in terms of vulnerability
- Right to life which is enshrined in the constitution under article 21 must be followed
- People should be treated as an end in themselves