12 Jul Artificial Intelligence
The topic talks about how Artificial Intelligence impacts the Indian Defence System.
Topic in News:- AI-based Mandarin translation devices for Army
Other Important points:-
- It is an offline hand-held language translation system which works based on AI.
- It is bidirectional with a range of 5-10 feet and gives converts Mandarin to English
- Defence Minister unveils 75 AI-based products & technology at defence symposium.
What is Artificial Intelligence?
- Artificial intelligence (AI) is the branch of computer science concerned with making computers behave like humans. So that it could perform cognitive tasks like thinking, learning, problem-solving, decision making etc
- AI is a technology that could mimic human intelligence.
- AI is being used today across different industries from finance to healthcare.
- AI has evolved in ways that far exceed its original conception. With incredible advances made in data collection, processing and computation power.
- AI’s capabilities have enhanced, and that’s why its utility is growing in diverse fields.
Applications of Artificial Intelligence
- In the E-Commerce sector, AI utilization enhances in different ways like Personalized Shopping, and AI-powered assistants like chatbots.
- Facial Recognition techniques devices like mobile, laptops & PCs.
- Automobile manufacturing companies like Audi, Toyota and Tesla use AI to train computers to think and evolve like humans which will be applicable in driving vehicles in any environment and detecting objects to avoid accidents.
- The AI system makes it easier for users by automatically detecting the number of lanes, road types and obstructions on the roads. Now AI is used by Uber and many logistics companies to enhance their operational efficiency, analyze road traffic, and optimize routes.
- In personalized learning AI technology can be used to monitor students’ data thoroughly, lesson plans, reminders, study guides, flash notes, revision, etc.
- In the Agriculture sector also, Artificial Intelligence is used to identify defects and nutrient deficiencies in the soil. This is done by using computer vision, robotics, and machine learning applications.
Artificial Intelligence (AI) startups and private companies are
- Tata Elxsi
- Happiest Mind
- Zensar Technologies
Following the initiative taken by the Government of India in the field of Artificial Intelligence
- The Ministry of Electronics and IT (MeitY) has initiated a programme titled FutureSkills PRIME in collaboration with NASSCOM, a B2C framework for re-skilling/ up-skilling IT professionals in 10 Emerging areas including Artificial Intelligence.
- Published the National Strategy for AI in June 2018 and also proposes to develop an ecosystem for the research and adoption of Artificial Intelligence i.e. #AI FOR ALL.
- Launched ‘National AI Portal’ which is a repository of AI-based initiatives in the country in a single place.
- The government has initiated the ‘Visvesvaraya PhD Scheme with the objective to enhance the number of PhDs in Electronics System Design & Manufacturing (ESDM) and IT/IT Enabled Services (IT/ITES) sectors in the country. The research areas under the scheme include AI(covering 82 PhD fellows) and Machine Learning (covering 59 PhD fellows).
- National Programme on Responsible Use of AI for Youth: With the objective to empower the youth to become AI-ready and help reduce the skill gap, the government along with Industry partners has started this initiative to promote AI awareness among Government school going children.
- GoI has also joined the league of leading economies like the USA, UK, EU, Australia, Canada, etc as a founding member of the Global Partnership on Artificial Intelligence (GPAI).
- The government organized Responsible AI for Social Empowerment (RAISE) in 2020, a first-of-its-kind global meeting of minds on Artificial Intelligence to drive India’s vision and roadmap for social transformation, inclusion and empowerment through responsible AI.
Daily Current Affairs for UPSC
The topic described above is related to the Daily Current Affairs for the UPSC. This topic of current affairs reflects how AI collaborate with the Indian Defence to detect the Enemy. Get such kind of the best daily current affairs for the UPSC examination from Plutus IAS. Also, read weekly and monthly current affairs today for UPSC exam preparation.