21 Jul China rolls out high speed 600km/hr Maglev train (GS-1, The Hindu, urbanization)
Context:- China rolled out a high-speed maglev train in Qingdao which can run on 600km per hr.
What is Maglev Train:-
- It is also called the magnetic levitation train.
- It works on either electromagnetic attraction or repulsion.
- It was invented by inventor Robert Goddard.
- It works on the principle about magnetic forces—like magnetic poles repel each other, and opposite magnetic poles attract each other—to lift, propel, and guide a vehicle over a track (or guideway).
- The magnetic repulsion or Maglev propulsion and levitation may involve the use of superconducting materials, electromagnets, diamagnets, and rare-earth magnets.
- Currently, the maglev train is the fastest available ground vehicle in the world.
- This shows technological advancements which also include a 30% more efficient self-developed brake system.
Plutus IAS Current Affair Team Member