03 Mar Climate Summary for Winter
Posted at 03 Mar 2021 in Current Affairs, Environment and climate change, GS Paper III 0 Comments
- The National Weather Forecasting Centre of the India Meteorological Department has issued the climate summary recently.
- The report said that the average maximum, average minimum, and mean temperature for the country were above normal as a whole.
- The climatological data is based on the period of 1981 to 2010 is used as a reference to calculate the normal.
Rainfall in India during the month of February was the sixth-lowest for more than a century since 1901.
- The average maximum and mean temperature over Northwest India was the second warmest since 1901.
Tools of the govt for climate tracking:
- Mausam app:
- This mobile app of the India Meteorological Department (IMD) is designed to communicate weather-related information and forecasts to the general public in a manner that is not technically heavy for the public to understand.
- It also has the services of Current Weather, Nowcast, City Forecast, Warnings, and Radar products.
- Meghdoot app:
- It will give forecasts information on temperature, rainfall, humidity, and wind speed, and direction. This will have a critical role in agricultural operations and guidelines to the farmers on how to take care of their crops and livestock.
- It will provide information in the form of images, maps, and pictures to help the farmer to have a better understanding.
- It was also integrated with WhatsApp and Facebook and it will be integrated with YouTube in the future as well to have a wider audience through sharing online.
- Damini app:
- It is designed by the Indian Institute of Tropical Meteorology (IITM). It gives a warning to the user about the lightning on the basis of the geographical location of the user.
- Lightning is shown on the map on the basis of a 5, 10, or, 15 min time gap.
- India has 48 lightning detecting sensors, many of which are situated along the Himalayan foothills and north-eastern states, where lightning strikes for even several days.