(GS Paper III, Economy, Environment)
(Source- The India Express)
- Talcher Fertilizer Limited would help in the formation of urea by using coal gasification.
- Decision has been taken to reduce the greenhouse gas emission to fulfill the target set under Cop-21, Paris climate deal
About Coal Gasification:
- Coal gasification is the process of converting coal into synthesis gas (Syngas) that is a mixture of Hydrogen, Carbon Monoxide and Carbon Dioxide.
- Syngas can be used in the production of electricity and making fertilisers.
Impact of this move:
- Fertilizer is currently produced by using both domestic natural gas and imported Liquified Natural Gas (LNG). Uses of coal which is present in India in abundance would reduce the import of LNG that will help in managing Current Account Deficit.
- This move would be helpful in generating direct and indirect employment as fertilizer would be produced domestically. Hence it will increase the GDP thus contributing to the economic development of the country.
- It would help the government to fulfill its target decided under the Paris climate Deal, hence strengthening India’s position in the international arena that would increase India’s soft diplomacy.
About Talcher Fertilizer Limited:
- Talcher Fertilizers Ltd. (TFL) is a Joint Venture Company of four PSUs namely Rashtriya Chemicals & Fertilizers (RCF), GAIL (India) Ltd. (GAIL), Coal India Ltd. (CIL) and Fertilizer Corporation of India Ltd. (FCIL) which was incorporated on 13th November, 2015.