08 Apr Deconstructing declarations of carbon-neutrality (The Hindu, GS-3 Environment)
Context:- Recent declaration by many countries to achieve the carbon neutrality by the mid of this century shows the alertness of countries.
- Carbon neutrality, equity and development goes somewhere in contradiction.
- Developing countries wants to get developed but issue is that it will emit carbon emission.
- Our pledges in intended nationally determined contribution fall shorts.
What India must do:
- India has one of the lowest per capita carbon emission, show India is already on the path of carbon neutrality.
- India does not owe a carbon debt to the world.
- India’s approach to eventual net-zero emissions is contingent on deep first world emissions reductions.
- India’s current annual emissions such as to seriously dent the emissions gap
- India must declared itself the carbon neutral country.
Plutus IAS Current Affair Team Member