13 Dec End to End Encryption
Nowadays, Maximum IT Companies focus on End-to-End Encryption
The topic talks about how End to End Encryption impacts the Science and Technology of India. The new and latest technology has come to the market and maximum IT companies adopt this technology.
Relevance for Prelims: Latest technologies
Relevance for Mains: Data Protection, Significance.
Context: Many IT companies have adopted this encryption technology to ensure data protection and conform to the latest data protection regulations.
About End-to-End Encryption
The process of encryption is ensured by the use of cryptographic keys which are used to encrypt and decrypt the messages stored on the endpoints. This can be unscrambled by and read by those with decryption keys which are only stored on endpoints and not with 3rd parties.
- It secures passwords, protects stored data, and safeguards data on cloud storage.
- It can be used to control user authorization when accessing stored data.
- End-to-End encryption has been used to transfer financial documents and personal conversations which keeps them safe and secure.
- Tamper-proof: Even if a message encrypted with a public key gets altered or tampered with in transit, the recipient will not be able to decrypt it.
- Safe and Secure: E-E-E ensures that data is protected from unwarranted parties including service providers and companies that handle encrypted data.
Legal Framework in India regarding the Encryption
- As of now, India does not have any specific encryption law.
- The Information Technology Act, of 2000 regulates the wireless and electronic modes of communication which is devoid of any substantive provision or policy of encryption.
- Users are not authorized to employ encryption standards larger than 40 bits using symmetric key algorithms without prior clearance and deposition of decryption keys.
Also, go through weekly and monthly current affairs for your IAS exam Preparation :