12 Nov GM Edible Oil
GM Edible Oil
Details on “GM Edible Oil”
Relevance for Prelims: GM Crops, Effects
Relevance for Mains: Impact of cultivation of GM Crops, Need of GM Crops
Context: The government in an affidavit informed Supreme Court that country is already importing GM edible oil, so any fear regarding the cultivation of edible GM Crop.
More in the news:
The Genetic Engineering Appraisal Committee (GEAC) has approved seed production of GM Mustard. (Refer to the previous article if you want to understand about GM Mustard (DMH-11)- https://plutusias.com/genetic-modified-crops/
State of Edible Oil Sector in India:
- India produced more than 35 million tonnes of edible oil from 9 oilseeds during 2020-21 as per Ministry of Agriculture.
- India is the world’s largest importer and second-largest producer of edible oils. The consumption of edible oil is more than the production of edible oils, which compels India to rely on imports from Malaysia and Indonesia.
- Currently (October 2022) India imports 50-60% of Edible oils of its domestic needs. Out of all edible oils, Palm Oil constitutes 62% of total imports while Soyabean constitutes 22% from Argentina and Brazil and Sunflower (10%) from Russia and Ukraine.
Pic: GM Edible Oil Sector in India
Government initiatives about Edible Oils:
- National Mission on Edible Oils-Oil palm: It is a centrally sponsored scheme implemented by Both Centre and State governments with North-East and Island (Andaman and Nicobar) in focus.
- The government set up Technology Mission on Oilseeds in 1986 which was later converted into National Mission on Oilseeds and Oil palm (NMOOP) in 2014.
- To encourage production of Oilseeds, government has increased the price of MSP of seeds such as Mustard, Rapeseed.
Q1- Consider the following statements: (UPSC Prelims- 2018)
- The quantity of imported edible oils is more than the domestic production of edible oils in the last five years.
- The Government does not impose any customs duty on all the imported edible oils as a special case.
Which of the statements given above is/are correct?
- 1 only
- 2 only
- Both 1 and 2
- Neither 1 nor 2
Q2- Among the agricultural commodities imported by India, which one of the following accounts for the highest imports in terms of value in the last five years? (UPSC Prelims Question 2019)
(b) Fresh fruits
(d) Vegetable oils
Current Affairs for UPSC
Get Latest Current Affairs for UPSC examination from Plutus IAS. The topic described above is related to the Indian Economy. Nowadays it is very important for any UPSC examinee to reading Current Affairs for UPSC examination. So everybody should accustom to going through Current Affairs for UPSC examination.
Reference- Indian Express