Issue:- Foriegn ministry issued statement on international support to farmers protest, arrest of climate activist disha ravi shows india government is not taking human rights seriously or want to crush the voices of human right champions in the backdrop of sovereignty.
India is always a champion of human rights:
- oppose the apartheid government of South Africa
- Sri Lankan government needing to do more to safeguard Tamil lives
- liberation of Bangladesh
- That India hosted the Dalai Lama and continues to do it.
- resistance against the demonisation of Nelson Mandela via the Rivonia trial in 1963.
- Universal Declaration of Human Rights laid down
- it contains the rights and the freedoms of all people, living everywhere.
- India was a member of the first Human Rights Commission, which drafted ‘international bill of rights’.
- The Universal Declaration of Human Rights was drafted from January 1947 till December 10, 1948, when it was eventually adopted by the General Assembly.
- The Charter of the United Nations was signed in San Francisco in 1945 about human rights.
- Mahatma Gandhi also issued a press statement for the participants of the San Francisco conference
- All India Congress Committee also passed resolution
- Vijaya Lakshmi Pandit became the first woman President of the UN General Assembly and addressed it.
- she had a deep impact on African-Americans battling entrenched racism at the time.
Rights are indivisible
- The triad of ‘Liberty, Equality and Fraternity’ engraved with in the Preamble
- Dr. B.R. Ambedkar’s words:all three elements were absolutely essential if Indians were to realise their full potential.