15 Apr India, Russia committed to S-400 deal (The Hindu, GS-3)
Context:- India will purchase the S-400 missile from russia
- It is a mobile, surface-to-air missile system (SAM)
- long-range SAM (MLR SAM)
- much ahead of the US-developed Terminal High Altitude Area Defense system (THAAD).
- can engage all types of aerial targets
- 100 airborne targets and engage six of them simultaneously
About India and Russia defense cooperation:
- Exercise INDRA
- active aircraft carrier INS Vikramaditya is from Russia
- Army’s T-90 and T-72 main battle tanks.
- IAF’s Su30 MKI fighter.
- 86% of the equipment, weapons and platforms currently in Indian military are of Russian origin.
- After Crimean annexation, Russia got expel from G-8 group and sanctioned by USA.
- Due to above issues countries which were trading from Russia also got sanctioned.
- India was also threaten by USA that if India will purchase S-400 missile system then India can also have the same
- but India pursued it’s goal without gave a thought of it.
What India must do:-
- Peruse it’s goal.
- national interest must be above of everything.
- India must engage multilaterally.