12 Jun India’s election in UN Economic and Social Council
Posted at 12 Jun 2021 in Current Affairs 0 Comments
(GS PAPER-2, Bilateral, Regional and Global Groupings
Recently India has been elected to the Economic and Social Council, which is one of the six main organs of the United Nations, for the 2022-24 term.
About the body-
- The Economic and Social Council (ECOSOC) is one of the integral parts of the United Nations system which is strengthening the three dimensions of sustainable development that is economic, social and environmental.
- It is a 54 member body.
- It is one of the central platforms for encouraging debate and innovative thinking, creating consensus on the action to be taken, and coordinating efforts to achieve internationally accepted goals.
- The body is also responsible for the follow-up to major UN conferences and summits.
- India got elected in the Asia-Pacific States category along with Afghanistan, Kazakhstan and Oman in the elections which was held on 7th June, 2021.
- From the African states, Côte d’Ivoire, Eswatini, Mauritius, Tunisia and the United Republic of Tanzania were elected while from the eastern European states, Croatia and the Czech Republic and from the Latin American and Caribbean states, Belize, Chile and Peru were elected.
- In the Economic and Social Council by-election, Greece, New Zealand and Denmark were elected for a term of office from January to December 2022 and Israel was elected for a term of office beginning January 1, 2022 and until December 31, 2023.
- India is currently serving the 2021-22 term as a non-permanent member of the powerful UN Security Council and will assume the Presidency of the 15-nation UN organ in August.
- The 54 ECOSOC members are elected for three-year terms by the General Assembly. Seats on the Council are allotted based on geographical representation with 14 allocated to African states, 11 to Asian states, six to eastern European states, 10 to Latin American and Caribbean states and 13 to western European and other states, according to the ECOSOC website.