29 Sep Low rainfall in Delhi, impacting the life cycle of Dragonfly
Posted at 29 Sep 2022 in Current Affairs, Daily Current Affairs for UPSC, Environment and climate change 0 Comments
Delhi Weather impacts the Life Cycle of Dragonfly
The topic is based on the Effect of Climate Change on Biodiversity. The article also talks about how Delhi Weather impacts the Life Cycle of Dragonfly
Prelims: Effect of climate change on biodiversity
Mains: GS –III, environmental issues, pollution, and degradation,
Why in headlines?
- A survey done by the Biodiversity Parks of Delhi on Dragonflies and Damselflies indicates that low this year’s low rainfall will impact their life cycle and number.
- A total of 25 species of dragonflies and damselflies were recorded in the Biodervsity Park along with the Kamla Nehru Ridge
Life cycle of Dragon
What are Dragonflies
- These are big predator insects, of beautiful colors, generally found near water bodies.
- More than 5000 known species of dragonflies exist, and their fossils have proved that they have been on the earth for many years.
- They have long thin colorful bodies, with six legs and large eyes, and two pairs of transparent wings.
- They have two large compound eyes, each with thousands of lenses, and three eyes with simple lenses.
The different stages of the Life cycle of Dragonfly
Dragonflies vs Damselflies
|long body predator||a lender insect, resting with the
folded back the body
|unequal winged: Anisoptera||yoke winged: Zygoptera|
|broadly rounded eyes||spherical eyes|
|3(approx) inches long||Comparatively small|
|stocky||Long and slender|
|the thorax is broader the abdomen||Thorax s narrow and has the
same width as the abdomen
|known as filers: can fly long distance||known as perchers:
only cover a small distance
Importance of Dragonflies and Damselflies for the environment:
- The dragonflies are crucial bio-indicator of the ecological health of a particular area.
- At the 1st census of it, a total of 51 different species were revealed in New Delhi and NCR, which was carried out in 2018.
- Dragonflies and Damselflies are predatory insects
- They play a very crucial role in checking the insect population, especially pests like mosquitoes and agricultural pests.
- They are living organisms like plants, plankton, animals, and microbes which are used to access the condition of the natural ecosystem in the environment.
- Some of the Bioindicators:
- Lichens check the quality of the air.
- Frogs are influenced by changes that take place in freshwater and terrestrial areas
Plutus IAS current affairs eng med 29th Sep 2022
IAS Current Affairs
Get current affairs for the IAS examination from Plutus IAS and read daily current affairs for your UPSC examination free of cost. It helps you not only pass your competitive examination but also enhance your general knowledge.
Also, read weekly and monthly current affairs from us: