22 Jun NEED FOR AN EDUCATION DATA
NEED FOR AN EDUCATION DATA – Today Current Affairs
India lacks and needs data which can hold the local vision of education and local actors accountable.
Today Current Affairs
What is the case of Rajasthan?
- Media writings have highlighted the marked fall or improvement in learning outcomes, depending on the dataset
- Annual Status of Education Report (ASER)led by the NGO, Pratham
- The National Achievement Survey (NAS) led by the National Council of Educational Research and Training (NCERT). The Hindu Analysis
- According to ASER 2019 data, Rajasthan was among the bottom five States in learning levels, while in NAS 2017, Rajasthan was among the top performers.
- Despite near consensus among policymakers and the intense efforts to disseminate data among the end-users, it is rarely used by poor parents.
- For them, schooling is about examination outcome, which is a proxy for learning, English language skills and a chance for secondary and graduate level degrees.
- Data on school infrastructure at the district level, or learning levels at the State level cannot galvanise the masses.
What about the present status? The Hindu Analysis
- Data has to be linked with a vision of school education which addresses the anxieties and aspirations of parents.
- A national-level policy should encompass the essence of the vision of the people at the national, State, district and local levels. The Hindu Analysis
- The district and school development plans such as the District Primary Education Programme (DPEP) and Sarva Shiksha Abhiyan (SSA) were not representative of parent-school consensus.
- Community-based consultative bodies such as the school management committees and parent-teacher committees could not become platforms to facilitate this.
Sarva Shiksha Abhiyan is Government of India’s flagship programme for achievement of Universalization of Elementary Education (UEE) in a time bound manner, as mandated by 86th amendment to the Constitution of India.
Why is the education data so significant? The Hindu Analysis
- It is only when data is connected with a locally developed and politically owned vision of school education that it will move beyond the administrator and the activist.
- The education data is essential to hold the local actors accountable.
Here we mention all information about the NEED FOR AN EDUCATION DATA Today Current Affairs
Plutus IAS Current Affairs Team Member