04 Mar Rape and marriage (GS-2 The Hindu, GS-2 Polity)
Posted at 04 Mar 2021 in Current Affairs, GS Paper III, Indian Polity 0 Comments
Issues:- Recent chief justice statement on rape victim when he asked rape accused to get marry with the raped girl
- Why are these remarks contradicting with the ethos?
- It makes women good whose ultimate goal is to get married.
- Shows patriarchal mindset of society.
- Women are seen as commodities and they have no right except the right to obey the master of house.
- Marrying a girl cant provide justice against the injustice which was made earlier.
- It may set a precedent and open the Pandora box.
- Case of European Commission of Human Rights in C.R. vs U.K. where the court concluded that a rapist remains a rapist regardless of his relationship with the victim.
|About Supreme court