12 Jun Refocused vaccination campaigns are possible (The Hindu, GS-2, Governance)
Context:- There are many issues regarding the vaccination programme. Here the government couldn’t prioritise the vaccination programme.
What are the issues in vaccination:-
- Less production, More demand.
- transition from a lack of vaccine supply to one of greater availability.
- prioritise people like the two octogenarians in Mumbai
- Local governments and municipalities should also prioritise vaccines for the historically marginalised
Examples of state run vaccination programme, chhattisgarh:
- The plan prioritised ration card holders specifically because they are poor and marginalised
- They also often lack access to mobile phones and the Internet,
- we have to make prioritisation of the marginalised when vaccine supply is limited
- According to WHO prioritising sociodemographic groups at significantly higher risk of severe disease or death should be the way forward.
- remove barriers to vaccination to minimise preventable disease and deaths.
Case of india;-
- India is depended and will continues to depend on the AstraZeneca vaccine, Why?
- it was stable in a refrigerator for longer periods than mRNA vaccines
- Accredited Social Health Activists (ASHAs) and Auxiliary NurseMidwives (ANMs) have vast experience and expertise with campaign style must be exploited.
- Urban slums and neighbourhoods have poor access to and low levels of trust in the healthcare system
- local governments are considering providing vaccines to older adults at door to door.
- We have to ensure that those who work for daily wages are able to get the vaccine
- vaccine distribution should be prioritised to districts of permanent domicile.
- Local planning will need to go handinhand with a refocus on equity and justice.
- vaccines would be procured + equitably distributed to countries based on need through the COVAX facility which is an international alliance to fight COVID-19
Supply Chain Gap:
- A Huge gap to vaccinate all its adult population.
- In India about 13% of its population has received a single jab and about 2% fully vaccinated and out of this most of are health professionals.
- Many countries have already vaccinated more than half their adult population for example Bhutan if single dose is been taken into account.
- Unequal Procurement Process:
- Digital Divide among rural and urban, among rich and poor, among middle class and lower class etc.