12 Feb The agonising cost of ham-handed development
Posted at 12 Feb 2021 in Current Affairs, disaster management 0 Comments
Issue: Recent disaster in Uttarakhand due to avalanche
->Some people argue that it is because of haphazard development.
->Why haphazard development in Uttarakhand.
- It is devbhumi, which has many pilgrimage centre
- These pilgrimage centres require the infrastructure to sustain a continuous flow of tourists.
- Even foreign tourists are visiting these sites, so it requires roads, dams etc for ease in living.
->Government is also doing the same e.g. Char Dham Project under which government is building roads and dams but DPR remains the issue
->What we must do
- Sustainable development
- Rural tourism
- Detailed project report must be scrutinised.
- Local-level people coordination and consultation
- Detailed study on the ecology of this fragile region.