20 Feb Too many IITs, unrealistic expectations (GS-2 Governance) The hindu
|Issue:-University Grants Commission has taken a decision which will permit selected IITs under the ‘Institutions of Eminence’ category and they can set up campuses abroad could further weaken these already stretched institutions.|
- IITs-> they are the crown jewels of Indian higher education
Originally 5 IITs in 1950s but now is 21.
- Why IITs are important
- Research Hubs.
- Technological advancements
- Leadership abilities
- Acting as a torch bearer for the other institute.
- They are fund starved.
- Infrastructure deficit.
- Research quantity rather quality
- How to improve
- sufficient resources, infrastructure to produce high quality graduates and good research.
- liberalise the recruitment rules to attract more foreign faculty.
- in-depth collaboration with the best global universities and hiring foreign faculty.