SPECIAL COVERAGE OF THE BUDGET 2021-2022
The Budget proposals for 2021-22 rest on 6 pillars.
- Health andWellbeing
- Physical & Financial Capital, andInfrastructure
- Inclusive Development for AspirationalIndia
- Reinvigorating HumanCapital
- Innovation andR&D
- Minimum Government and MaximumGovernance
Physical & Financial Capital, and
Aatma Nirbhar Bharat-Production
Linked Incentive Scheme:-
Target:– USD 5 trillion economy
Strength:- our manufacturing sector has to grow double digits on a sustained basis.
Opportunity:-Our manufacturing companies need to become an integral part of global supply chains, possess core competence and cutting-edge technology.
PLI schemes to create manufacturing global champions for an Atma Nirbhar Bharat have been announced for 13 sectors.
Allocation:- Rs.1.97 lakh crore in the next 5 years starting FY 2021-22.
About ATMANIRBHAR BHARAT:-
Mentioned reforms needed for further felicitation of economy, skill and growth.
Mega Investment Textiles Parks(MITRA):-
7Textile Parks attract large investments and boost employment generation.
To create world class infrastructure to boost export and FDI.
The National Infrastructure Pipeline (NIP):-
expanded to 7,400 projects.
Question UPSC PRE 2020 about key infra
In India, the term “Public Key Infrastructure” is used in the context of
- Digital securityinfrastructure
- Food securityinfrastructure
- Health care and educationinfrastructure
- Telecommunication and transportationinfrastructure
Infrastructure financing – Development Financial Institution (DFI)
- Needs long term debt
- Will act act as a provider, enabler and catalystfor
infrastructure financing.A Bill to set up a DFI will be introduced.
- A “National Monetization Pipeline” ->forBrownfield infrastructure Asset Monetization dashboard-> for tracking the progress
- Some important measures in the direction of monetisationare:
- National Highways Authority of India and PGCIL each have sponsored oneInvIT
- Railways will monetize Dedicated FreightCorridor assets
- Airports will be monetised for operations and management
- Other core infrastructure assets that will be rolled out under the Asset Monetization Programmeare:
(i) NHAI Operational Toll Roads(ii) Transmission Assets of PGCIL
(iii) Oil and Gas Pipelines ofGAIL, IOCL and HPCL
(iv) AAI Airports in Tier II and III cities,
(v) Other Railway InfrastructureAssets
(vi) Warehousing Assets of CPSEs such as Central Warehousing Corporation and NAFEDamong others and
(vii) Sports Stadiums.
Roads and Highways Infrastructure
- By March 2022, the Government would be awarding another 8,500 kms and completing an additional 11,000 kms of national highway
- National Rail Plan for India – 2030-> futureready’ Railway system by
- Bringing down the logisticcosts
- western Dedicated Freight Corridor (DFC) andEastern DFC will be commissioned by June
For Passenger convenience and safety the following measures are proposed:
- Introduction of LHB coach on touristroutes
- The safety measures -> with an indigenouslydeveloped automatic train protection system that eliminates train collision due to human
- sing the share of public transport through expansion of metro rail network and augmentation of city bus
- Two new technologies i.e., MetroLite’and‘MetroNeo’
- 139 GigaWatts of installedcapacity
- connecting an additional 2.8 crorehouseholds
- Distribution Companies-> revamped reforms-based result-linked power distribution sectorscheme
- scheme–>Infrastructure creation including pre-paid smart metering and feeder separation, upgradation of systems, etc., tied to financial
Ports, Shipping, Waterways
- Major Ports will be moving from managing their operational services on their own to a model where a private partner will manage it for
- subsidy support to Indian shipping companies in global tenders floated by Ministries and
Petroleum & Natural Gas
- Ujjwala Scheme which has benefited 8 crore households will be extended to cover 1 crore more beneficiaries
- Government will add 100 more districts in the next3 years to the City Gas Distribution
- A gas pipeline project will be taken up in Union Territory of Jammu &Kashmir
- An independent Gas Transport System Operator will be set up for facilitation and coordination of booking of common carrier capacity in all-natural gas pipelines on a non-discriminatory open access basis.
- Single Securities Markets Code:-To include SEBI Act, 1992, DepositoriesAct, 1996, SecuritiesContracts (Regulation) Act, 1956 and Government Securities Act, 2007.
- Development of a world class Fin-Tech hub at the GIFT-IFSC.
Increasing FDI in Insurance Sector
- From 49% to 74% and allow foreign ownership and control
- Under the news ructure-> the majority of Directors on the Board and key management persons would be resident Indians, with at least 50% of Directors beingIndependent Directors, and specified percentage of profits being retained as general reserve.
Disinvestment and Strategic Sale
- In 2021-22, Government would also bring the IPO ofLIC
- Policy of strategic disinvestment of public sector enterprises a clear roadmap for disinvestment inall
non-strategic and strategic sectors. Government has kept four areas that are strategic where bare minimum CPSEs will be maintained and rest privatized.
Health and Wellbeing
- A massive increase of 137% from last year’s budget allocation for the health
Three core areas have been outlined for further strengthening. Namely, Preventive, Curative and
● Key areas addressed
- To address the ongoing issue of COVID-19 35,000 crore has been
- Pneumococcal vaccines will be rolled out across the country after the success stories of five states.
- Mission Poshan will be launched to further strengthen the existing aim of nutritional content, delivery, outreach and
- The nutritional outcome of the 112 aspirational districts to be
- Supplementary nutrition programme has been merged with Poshan 2.0.
- Clean Air:
- To tackle air pollution in 42 urban centres where the populationis more than 10 lakhs, 2,271 crore has been
- Old and unfit vehicles will be phased out voluntarily in thevehicle scrapping
- A fitness test to be conducted to determine if the vehicle needs tobe scrapped out or not. (Personal vehicle- 20 years, Commercial vehicle- 15 years)
- Universal coverage of water supply:
- All the urban local bodies in the country will be providedwith universal water
- Liquid waste management will be initiated in the AMRUT cities.
Swachh Bharat, Swasth Bharat:
- Reduction in single-use plastic, air pollution, segregation of garbage to be
- All legacy dump sites will be
- Faecal sludge management and waste water treatment will be completed from five years from now.
Daily Prelims Facts-
1. World Wetlands Day
Purpose—To raise awareness of what is the crucial role of wetlands for people and planets.
THEME– “Wetlands and Water”
Why celebrated–On February 2, 1971 in the Iranian city Of Ramsar on the shores of the Caspian Sea .First time was celebrated in 1997.
2. First sanitise metro using UV rays become
By using ultraviolet rays to sanitise train coaches Lucknow Metro. The Uttar Pradesh Metro Rail Corporation has taken inspiration from the New york
Metro’s experiment to sanitise trains with UV lamp rays.
About the Apparatus
It is prepared by DRDO in October 2020 sanitizes the entire coach in just seven minutes.Earlier, this apparatus used to sanitise the Cinema halls,medical industry. With the help of a remote and switch off button this apparatus operated.
3.Punjab National Bank restricts withdraw of Money from non-EMV ATMs
Purpose— To check frauds,related with money transactions.This
restriction will apply to both,financial and non-financial transactions.To overcome this,PNB will introduce OTP based systems for withdrawing cash.
Non -EMV ATMs are those which read data through magnetic strips and don’t hold the ATM card during the transaction.