11 Jun Election Commissioner
(GS PAPER-2, GOVERNANCE
SOURCE- THE HINDU)
Recently Former Uttar Pradesh Chief Secretary Anup Chandra Pandey was appointed as the new Election Commissioner. It will restore the poll panel to its full strength as a three-member commission.
About Election commission of India:
- The constitution of India under Article 324 provides for an Election Commission to be established for the superintendence, direction, and control of the preparation of the electoral rolls for the conduct of elections to parliament, state legislatures, and to the offices of President and the vice president.
- It came into place in accordance with the Constitution on 25th January 1950 (celebrated as national voters’ day).
Composition of Election commission of India-
The constitution provides for the following provisions in relation to the composition of the election commission:
- According to the constitution, the election commission shall consist of the Chief Election Commissioner and a number of other election commissioners, if any, as the president may think from time to time.
- The appointment of the chief election commissioner and other election commissioners shall be made by the president of India.
- The chief election commissioner shall act as the chairman of the election commission.
- The president can appoint regional commissioners as he may consider necessary to assist the election commission after consultation with the election commission.
- The conditions of service and tenure of office of the election commissioners and the regional commissioners shall be such as the President determines may by rule.
Removal of the body-
- The Chief Election Commissioner of Election Commissioners can resign anytime to the president.
- They can also be removed before the expiry of their term in proven misbehavior.
- The Chief Election Commissioner can be removed from his office in the same manner or on the same grounds as a judge of the Supreme Court.
– Khyati Khare