01 Jul Exercise Sea Breeze
(GS Paper- II, International Relations
Source- The Hindu)
- Two countries Ukraine and the USA have recently launched joint naval Exercise ‘Sea Breeze’ in the Black Sea to show Western cooperation with the country Ukraine as it faces off with Russia.
- The exercise Sea Breeze has been held since 1997, including NATO states and their ally country.
- This version (2021) will be the largest in Exercise’s history that will include some 5,000 military personnel from more than 30 countries of the world.
The objective of the Exercise:
- To Improve naval and land operations
- To Improve cooperation among participating counties.
- To send a powerful message to maintain stability and peace in the region.
Significance of the Black Sea for Russia:
- The unique and strategic geography of the Black Sea region provides and facilitates several geopolitical advantages to Russia
- Russia has always wanted to control and overpower the region.
- It is an important and crucial crossroads and strategic intersection for the entire region.
- Its Access largely enhances the projection of power into multiple adjacent regions.
- The region is an important and strategic transit corridor for goods and energy supply.
- It is highly rich in cultural and ethnic diversity, and shares close bonded historical ties with Russia.
About the Black Sea:
- It is a disputable sea of the Atlantic Ocean, located between Eastern Europe and Western Asia.
- The bordering countries of this Sea are Russia, Ukraine, Georgia, Turkey, Bulgaria, and Romania.
- It is the largest embayment with a meromictic basin.
- It means the fluctuation of water between the lower and upper layers of the sea is a unique phenomenon that is also responsible for its Water (significant because of the absence of oxygen in the water).