GS paper- 3, Economy
- The Inclusive Development Index (IDI) compiled by the World Economic Forum.
- (WEF), India ranked 62nd out of 74 emerging countries and was among the least inclusive countries in Group of 20 (G-20) countries.
- The IDI is based on the idea that most people base their country’s growth not on GDP but by their own standard of living.
- It gives a measure of inequality based on three parameters:
- Growth and development
- Inter-generational equity and sustainability.
- India also did not make it to the top 10 most inclusive emerging and developing economies, where its neighbours Nepal, China and Sri Lanka made a mark.
- India performed its best in terms of “intergenerational equity and sustainability”, ranking 44 , for which credit can be attributed to its demographic dividend.