06 Jul Infrastructure regarding Food Safety in States
Posted at 06 Jul 2022 in Current Affairs 0 Comments
Infrastructure regarding Food Safety in States – Today Current Affairs
The FSSAI has released the Fourth State Food Safety Index recently.
Today Current Affairs
What is the State Food Safety Index?
- FSSAI has developed the State Food Safety Index to measure the performance of states on various parameters of Food Safety.
- It was first started in 2018-19 with the aim of creating a competitive and positive change in India’s food safety ecosystem.
- This index is based on performance of State/ UT on five significant parameters
- Human Resources and Institutional Data
- Food Testing – Infrastructure and Surveillance
- Training & Capacity Building
- Consumer Empowerment
What about the recent index? The Hindu Analysis
- In the 4th index, Tamil Nadu topped the list among larger states, followed by Gujarat and Maharashtra.
- Among smaller states, Goa was the winner, followed by Manipur and Sikkim.
- Jammu and Kashmir emerged top among Union Territories, followed by Delhi and Chandigarh.
How can the States’ index be improved? The Hindu Analysis
- Support of the Centre– States need the support of the Central government in developing food laboratory infrastructure and enhancing manpower.
- Assistance– Liberal assistance should be provided to the States and Union Territories as far as laboratory infrastructure and improvement of manpower are concerned.
- Role of private sector– The private sector should come forward in a big way to have staff trained at their cost to improve productivity.
- Use of ICT– The participation of information technology majors with the help of non-governmental organisations can be utilised in getting surplus food distributed to the needy.
What are some of the important initiatives for food safety in India? The Hindu Analysis
- Eat Right India Movement– to transform the country’s food system in order to ensure safe, healthy and sustainable food for all Indians.
- Eat Right Station Certification– awarded by FSSAI to railway stations that set benchmarks (as per the FSS Act, 2006) in providing safe and wholesome food to passengers.
- The Eat Right Research Awards and Grants– for high quality research in the area of food safety and nutrition in India.
- PAN-India survey– for identifying the presence of industrially produced trans fatty acid content in the selected foods has been released.
In this article we mention all information about Infrastructure regarding Food Safety in States Today Current Affairs.