12 Feb Kinnal Craft
Recently a report has stated that Social Media has given a boost to the artisans of the Kinnal Craft and their wooden dolls. Social Media has provided them a platform to advertise their products online to the world and sell them.
About Kinnal Craft-
It is a traditional craft which has been done on wood. It is the local craft of Kinhal or Kinnal town in the Koppal District of Karnataka.
It was awarded the Geographical Indication tag in 2012.
- The artisans of this craft are identified as Chitragars.
- The wood used by them is a local wood known as Polki Maran.
- The intricate carvings in the Hampi Chariot are believed to be a Kinnal Craft.
- The toys made by Kinhal craft have a signature gold and silver colour which is done by using a special technique named as Lajwara Technique.
- The basic theme of the craft is primarily Hindu Mythology.
- They make idols of deities such as Hanuman, Durga Garuda etc.