2020 Tree City of The World: Hyderabad
(GS Paper 3, Biodiversity)
- Recently, the city of Hyderabad was identified as a ‘Tree City of the World’ by the Arbor Day Foundation and the Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) of the United Nations.
- It is placed alongside 119 other cities from 63 countries.
- Hyderabad is the only city in India to get this distinction.
About Arbor Day Foundation:
- This is a nonprofit conservation and educational institution. It was founded in 1972 in the USA.
- This largest nonprofit institution dedicated to tree planting helps spread awareness of how the tree could be a solution to numerous issues we face today globally. Namely, air quality, water pollution, climate change, hunger, and urbanization.
- The effort of Hyderabad to the growing and maintaining the urban forest cover through the Haritha Haram scheme and the urban forest parks.
- Hyderabad became the first city in India to gain this accolade.
|Haritha Haram scheme: