08 Apr Abortion is a woman’s right to decide (Women right, GS-2)
Posted at 08 Apr 2021 in Top IAS Coaching 0 Comments
What is The Medical Termination of Pregnancy (Amendment) Bill, 2020:-
- regulates the conditions under which a pregnancy may be aborted.
- e Bill allows abortion to be done on the advice of one doctor up to 20 weeks, and two doctors in the case of certain categories of women between 20 and 24 weeks.
- state level Medical Boards to decide if a pregnancy may be terminated after 24 weeks in cases of substantial foetal abnormalities.
Issues in the Bill
- Still holds patriachal mind set
- women don’t have right on her body, i.e. right of abortion.
- state has an obligation to protect life, and hence should provide for the protection of the foetus.
- for a case requiring abortion due to rape, that exceeds 24- weeks, the only recourse remains through a Writ Petition.
- The Bill does not specify the categories of women who may terminate
pregnancies between 20-24 weeks and leaves it to be prescribed
- The Act (and the Bill) require abortion to be performed only by
doctors with specialization in genecology or obstetrics.
- There is a 75% shortage of such doctors in community health centers in rural areas, pregnant women may continue to find it difficult to access facilities for safe abortions.