03 Jun Close the vaccination gap, in global lockstep (The Hindu, GS-2, Governance, Health)
Context:- European union which is on the COVAX alliance with india and other countries, don’t seem to be revoking the IPR on the covid-19 vaccine and technology. This article especially talks about the EU efforts in the vaccine efforts.
- Currently 2.1% of african population is vaccinated.
- At this speed it will take 2023 to get the whole world population vaccinated.
- Till than new variant of the virus will come and it will render vaccine ineffective
- These restrictions penalise the whole world, but they weigh even more heavily on developing countries.
- Reveral of
- declining poverty
- global inequalities.
- Such a negative dynamic would hold back economic activity and increase geopolitical tensions
- India’s “Vaccine Maitri” is another example of global solidarity.
Efforts of EU:-
- a large scale and contributed significantly to the new generation of mRNA vaccines.
- “Team Europe” (EU states +Financial institution) — is also donating vaccines to neighbours in need.
- Team Europe has also been the main contributor to the COVAX facility
- In cooperation with vaccine manufacturers, we are working to increase the EU vaccine production capacities
How to support Africa:-
- All countries must avoid restrictive measures that affect vaccine
- facilitate the transfer of knowledge and technology
- encouraging European producers to produce especially in Africa.
- existing TradeRelated Aspects of Intellectual Property Rights (TRIPS)
- Agreement and the 2001 Doha Declaration
- We can explore possibility of compulsory licensing
EU will come forward with a new proposal in the World Trade Organization framework by early June.