14 Nov Fair and Remunerative Prices and State Advisory Price
State Advisory Price
Details on “State Advisory Price”
Relevance for Prelims: CCEA, Sugarcane Pricing
Relevance for Mains: None
Context: Uttar Pradesh, which has the highest State Advisory Price (SAP) has recently denied the proposal to increase SAP for sugar cane.
Pic: State Advisory Price (SAP)
Pricing of Sugarcane:
- FRP is the price declared by the government, which mills are legally bound to pay to farmers for the cane procured from them.
- The payment of FRP is governed by the Sugarcane Control order, 1966 issued under the Essential Commodities Act, 1955 which mandates payment within 2 weeks of the date of delivery of the sugarcane.
- The FRP is recommended by the Commission for Agriculture Costs and Prices (CACP) and announced by Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs (CCEA). CCEA is chaired by Prime Minister.
- The FRP is based on the Rangarajan Committee on reorganizing the sugarcane industry. It is noteworthy that, unlike others, Sugarcane is the only crop that has legal backing.
About State Advised Price (SAP):
- The State Advised Price (SAP) is announced by the Governments of key sugarcane-producing states. State Advised Price (SAP) is generally higher than FRP.
- Top Sugarcane Producing States: Uttar Pradesh, Maharashtra, Karnataka
- Rainfall: Around 75-100 cm.
- Soil Type: Deep rich loamy soil.
- Temperature: Hot and Humid Climate 21-27 degrees C
- India is the second largest producer of Sugarcane in the world followed by Brazil and Cuba.
Current Affairs for UPSC
Are you looking for daily updated Current affairs for UPSC examination? Plutus IAS provides you latest Current Affairs for UPSC examination. Current Affairs for UPSC examination are very important for every IAS exam aspirant. Plutus IAS provides you Best Current Affairs for UPSC examination free of cost. Get IAS Current Affairs from us.
Source: The Times of India