- Indian Council of Agricultural Research earned the King Bhumibol World Soil Day 2020 award which was given by the Food and Agriculture Organization in Thailand.
- This recognition was announced by the FAO in recognition of the ICAR’s admirable contributions in soil health awareness on the theme ‘Stop soil erosion, save our future’ during the period of last year.
Activities of ICAR:
- The ICAR organized many workshops and programs for the school-going students, farming community, and the general public.
- It also organized an awareness campaign for protecting “SOIL: Our Mother Earth” to celebrate World Soil Day.
- It is observed on 5th December annually.
- It is done to highlight the growing concern of healthy soil and to promote the sustainable management of soil resources.
- 5th December 2014 was nominated as the first official World Soil Day by the UNGA.
- In 2002, the concept was endorsed by the International Union of Soil Sciences (IUSS).
- FAO has also endorsed the formal establishment of the day as a raising global awareness platform under the able-leadership of the King of Thailand.
- 5th December was elected as it resembles the official birthday of the King Bhumibol Adulyadej of Thailand, who officially approved the event.