INDIA AS AN RESEARCH AND DEVELOPMENT DRIVEN ECONOMY- Today Current Affairs
Innovation requires building institutional frameworks and research infrastructure. Building research infrastructure should be envisioned for an ecosystem rather than an institution. The initial funding to build large research infrastructure needs to come from the public exchequer. Government funding is the initiator of public ideas into workable solutions in science and technology LED innovation.
Today Current Affairs
Legal framework: The Hindu Analysis
- Proper legal frameworks are needed for university driven innovation to mature.
- After consultation and modification parliament needed to pass the production and utilisation of public funding intellectual property bill 2008.
- Making PUPFIP a law will help remove the university’s lack of clarity on intellectual property rights to commercialise inventions. Today Current Affairs.
Education and learning: The Hindu Analysis
- Education is extrinsic,passive and curriculum-led.
- Learning is intrinsic, active and curiosity LED.
- Well defined curriculum paves the way for greater learning outcomes.
- When the two faces of education and learning work together it can lead to solving some of the world’s greatest problems.
Innovation and entrepreneurship: The Hindu Analysis
- Ok, we need to establish the white ecosystem to nudge students towards innovation and entrepreneurship, while traditional engineering education has failed to do so.
- We need an ecosystem where students can engage with corporate, startups, industry experts, partners, investors,accelerators etc.
Today Current Affairs
- The university curricula need to get away from focusing exclusively on awarding degrees to providing vocational training to develop students skills.
- Focusing on innovation must not take over miles away from problems in fundamental sciences or other streams.
- Funding for applied sciences should not be at the cost of fundamental science.
- The market caps of many technology driven companies ranked in the top 20 of global GDP alongside the nation States. Today Current Affairs.
- Universities can play a significant role in fostering the economy of all nations.
- Need to sustain public funding to build world-class research and development infrastructure and hiring the best faculty in our universities system.