Context– Issue of refugee in india and currently issue of Myanmar’s people
- India has emphatically argued over time
- illegal immigration is a threat to the socio-political fabric of any country
- Issue is about illigal immigration
Ambiguity in the framework
- our policies towards illegal immigrants and refugees is confused
- both categories of people are covered under the Foreigners Act, 1946.
- absence of such a legal framework also leads to policy ambiguity
- domestic politicisation of refugee protection
- India is not being a party to the 1951 Refugee Convention
- New domestic law needed
- allow for temporary shelter and work permit for refugees
- distinction between temporary migrant workers and illegal immigrants and refugee.