13 Apr ‘Northeast citizens faced bias amid pandemic’ (GS-1, Regionalism, communalism, The Hindu)
Context:- Recent report on the racial issues faced by the north east people, during the pandemic, unpublished. shows a stark reality, people of east India faces.
- Why north east people faces the racial discrimination:-
- Their physical appearance.
- People of mainland (Though north east is an integral part of India) seems pathetic to the racial issues.
- People don’t treat them equal.
- Awareness among the people, as such awareness is not being taught in the school
- recent case studies:
- In Bengaluru northeast people exodus in the past.
- crime against them in Delhi.
- Many of the mainstream people thinks north east is not the part of india.
- Government steps
- Destination north east-2020
- Ek Bharat, Shreshtha Bharat
- Cultural Heritage Youth Leadership Programme (CHYLP)
- bezbaruah committee for north east people
Bezbaruah committee for north east people (look into concerns of people hailing from north-eastern states living and working in other parts of the country.)
- Reach North east people via social media
- dedicated public prosecutor
- Nodal police stations
- victim relief fund
- promotion of sports in the north east