Context:- Administration in the lakshadweep took the administrative decision for the reforms. On this point 4 legislations or laws/ rules have been enacted.
What are those legislation:-
- The Lakshadweep Animal Preservation Regulation, 2021;
- The Prevention of Anti-Social Activities Regulation (PASA);
- The Lakshadweep Panchayat Regulation, 2021 and
- Lakshadweep Development Authority Regulation 2021.
What is lakshadweep:-
- India’s smallest Union Territory
- It is an archipelago consisting of 36 islands
- Directly comes under the control of the Centre through an administrator.
- The Capital is Kavaratti
- Pitti island has a bird sanctuary.
- All are of coral origin (Atoll) and are surrounded by fringing reefs.
There are three main group of islands:
- Amindivi Islands
- Laccadive Islands
- Minicoy Island.
Socio-economy of society:
- The society is matriarchal.
- The religion is Islam.
- It also gives India a huge and exclusive economic zone with three distinct ecosystems: land, lagoon and ocean.
- Fishing is a primary occupation here.
- The language is Malayalam but in Minicoy it is Mahl.
- Vatteluttu was the earliest script used with its Sanskrit component.
- Administrator’s interference in the life of islander
- Introduction of beef ban
The Goonda Act:-
- AlreadyVery less crime rate
- revoking of restrictions on alcohol for benefit of tourism is the one of issue.
- mandatory quarantine if the island bound travellers
- panchayat rules designed to restrict or decrease the population growth in a territory
- According to NHFS-5 (2019-20), the total fertility rate is 1.4 (which is far behind the national average of 2.2)
What can be the effects of these rules:-
- ‘One island, one resort’ policy has kept pressure on reefs low due to a wide distribution of the tourist population.
- the business model is about giving coral reefs economic significance
- rich and healthy reefs are essential for private capital’s
- tourists will come because of the natural beauty and the sheer amount of marine life in insland
- regulation is limited to ban on reef fishing and collection of corals, having no certainty to land acquisition that land will be acquitted by government
- Issue of Groundwater will be lost:-
- Groundwater occurs as a thin lens floating over the seawater and is tapped by open wells replenished by the monsoon;
- new draft legislation seeks preventive detention for ‘antisocial activities’, and covers “cruel person” and “depredator of environment”.
Why “no” to maldives model:-
- It will damage the socio economic fabric of island society
- Environmental destruction
- Grabbing of land by the cement mafias
- A new plan for Lakshadweep should be based on industry had to be people-centric and enrich the fragile coral ecology.
- Excessive centralisation