27 Feb State of Environment Report, 2021
Posted at 27 Feb 2021 in Current Affairs, Environment and climate change, GS Paper III 0 Comments
The Centre for Science and Environment (CSE) has published its State of Environment Report, 2021. The report showed the Covid-19 pandemic’s impact on children across the world.
- It stated that the covid pandemic will impact 375 million children globally. 0-14-year-olds will have long-lasting impacts.
- These children will be vulnerable to increased child mortality. The report also says that the pandemic has made 500 million children go out of school. Of which India alone accounts for 50%.
- 115 million additional people will get pushed into poverty due to unforeseen events.
- India ranked 117 among 192 nations in sustainable development.
- There are currently 88 major industrial clusters in the country. 35 among them had environmental degradation, others went through worsening air quality, polluted water, and land pollution.
- Tarapur in the state of Maharashtra was the most polluted zone.
- CSE highlighted that no measures have been taken in the past to control and decrease the pollution in the areas that were already polluted.
- It is a public interest research and advocacy institution based in New Delhi.
- It specializes in lobbies for and communicates the need for development that is both sustainable and equitable.