22 Feb Sub-categorization of the OBCs: Scopes?
Posted at 22 Feb 2021 in Current Affairs, Ethics, Governance, GS Paper II, GS Paper III, GS Paper IV, Social Justice 0 Comments
Sub-categorisation of the OBCs: Scopes?
- The chairman of the National Commission for Backward Classes, Bhagwan Lal Sahni, observed that the NCBC is in assistance of four subcategories of the Other Backward Classes.
- This measure complies with the endorsement of the Justice Rohini Commission.
National Commission for Backward Classes:
- NCBC was created in 1993, in the aftermath of the commission was the result of the Indra Sawhney Vs Union of India case.
- It was given the status of the constitutional body in conformity with the 123rd constitutional amendment bill of 2017 and the 102nd amendment of 2018.
- Article 338B of the Indian Constitution talks about the context with respect to the NCBC. The body functions under the Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment.
Sub categorization of OBCs:
- The sub-categories of the OBCs will be done by keeping those sections in mind which have either benefited competently or less benefited from this skepticism.
- While the two other categories will be for the least benefited and those who have not been benefited from the present structure.
Justice Rohini Commission:
- The commission was constituted in 2017. This commission has been constituted to study, observe, and report on the sub-categorization of OBCs.
- The commission will be finalizing the report by July 2021. The panel’s terms of reference are to research the extent of inequitable distribution of benefits of reservation among communities.
- The panel will also find out the structure, criteria, and framework for sub-categorization within the OBCs.