Context:-Throughout The Month Of September As Part Of Azadi Ka Amrit Mahotsav Poshan Maah will be celebrated. Weekly Themes To Ensure Focused & Assimilated Approach Towards Improving Holistic Nutrition
What is POSHAN Abhiyaan:-
- It is Government of India’s flagship programme to improve nutritional outcomes for children, adolescent Girls, pregnant women and lactating mothers.
- It was Launched by the Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi on the occasion of International Women’s Day on 8 March, 2018 from Jhunjhunu in Rajasthan, the POSHAN (Prime Minister’s Overarching Scheme for Holistic Nutrition) Abhiyaan directs the attention of the country towards the problem of malnutrition and address it in a mission-mode.
- Focusing on the aims of POSHAN Abhiyaan, Mission Poshan 2.0 (Saksham Anganwadi and Poshan 2.0) has been announced in the Budget 2021-2022 as an integrated nutrition support programme, to strengthen nutritional content, delivery, outreach and outcomes with focus on developing practices that nurture health, wellness and immunity to disease and malnutrition.
- POSHAN Abhiyaan is a Jan Andolan or “People’s Movement” by incorporating inclusive participation of public representatives of local bodies, government departments of the States/UTs, social organizations and the public and private sector at large.
- In order to ensure community mobilization and bolster people’s participation, every year, the month of September is celebrated as POSHAN Maah across the country.
- This year, as India celebrates the Azadi Ka Amrit Mahotsav, to ensure speedy & intensive outreach, the entire month has been subdivided into weekly themes for focused and assimilated approach towards improving Holistic Nutrition.