25 May UNESCO grants World Heritage Site tag (Indian express, History, GS-1)
Context:- UNESCO grants World Heritage Site tag to 14 forts of shivaji maharaj
- Maharashtra government has nominated the 17th century’s 14 Forts of Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj for UNESCO grants World Heritage Site tag.
- This includes- RAJGAD FORT in Pune district, capital of the Maratha Empire under Chhatrapati Shivaji for almost 26 years.
- Then capital was moved to the Raigad Fort. RAIGAD FORT in Sahyadris Hills
- SHIVNERI FORT Near Junnar in Pune district. Shivaji’s birthplace, example of Bahamani/ Nizamshahi architecture.
- Other Forts: Torna Fort,
- Salher Fort,
- Mulher Fort,
- Rangana Fort,
- Ankai Tankai Forts,
- Kasa Fort,
- Khanderi Fort,
- Sindhudurg Fort,
- Alibag Fort Popularly known as Kulaba Fort – a naval base by Chhatrapati Shivaji, SUVARNADURG Built on an island.
History of maratha, i will cover in the seprate article today. please follow.