28 May Weathering storms (The Hindu, GS-3, Disaster Management, GS-1)
Context:- Very Severe Cyclonic Storm Yaas striking Odisha, it has tested indian capability of disaster management where early and accurate warning system is the foremost.
Condition of formation of cyclone:-
- According to NCERT:-
- Large sea surface with temperature higher than 27° C,
- Presence of the Coriolis force enough to create a cyclonic vortex,
- Small variations in the vertical wind speed,
- A pre-existing weak low-pressure area or low-level-cyclonic circulation,
- Upper divergence above the sea level system,
- Indian response to YAAS:-
- preparatory mass evacuation from habitations
- India has improved its resilience to cyclones
- raising the capacity of the disaster response forces
- System to counter Disaster:-
- Disaster management act 2005
- Increased capacity of indian metrological system in terms of human resources, technical resources.
- Issue in the indian disaster management
- Corruption as surfaced in bengal during cyclone disaster fighting
- Lack of resources.
- Incapacity of states to tackle.